Pick a software title...to downgrade to the version you love!
VLC Media Player www.videolan.org Open Source VLC is a free and open source cross-platform multimedia player and framework that plays most multimedia files as well as DVDs, Audio CDs, VCDs, and various streaming protocols. Download VLC media player for Windows & read reviews. The leader in video and sound players. VLC media player for Windows.
VLC Media Player 1.1.0 Change Log
Ready for HD
VideoLAN, VLC, VLC media player and x264 are trademarks internationally registered by the VideoLAN non-profit organization. VideoLAN software is licensed under various open-source licenses: use and distribution are defined by each software license. Design by Made By Argon. Some icons are licensed under the CC BY-SA 3.0+.
- GPU decoding on Windows Vista and 7, using DxVA2 for H.264, VC-1 and MPEG-2
- GPU decoding on GNU/Linux, using VAAPI for H.264, VC-1 and MPEG-2
- DSP decoding using OpenMax IL, for compatible embedded devices
- Improved support for MKV HD, including seeking fixes, and 7.1 channels codecs
- Support for new codecs, like Blu-Ray subtitles, MPEG-4 lossless and VP8
NB: so far, on Windows, VideoLAN is quite sad to be forced to recommend nVidia® GPU, until ATI® fixes their drivers on Windows, and until VLC developer get access to some Intel® hardware supporting GPU decoding.
New add-ons and script framework so one can personalize its vlc.
- Written in lua
- 2 main types of scripts:
- content add-ons, integrated in the playlist
- functionnalities extensions, like metadata searching on the web, or subtitles look-ups
- Very Simple
- Support for WebM decoding and encoding
- Improved web plugins
- Better streaming capabilities
Better Audio experience
- Integrated playlist in the Qt4 interface
- Multiple views (like album art) in the playlist in the Qt4 interface
- Support for AMR-NB, Mpeg-4 ALS, Vorbis 6.1/7.1, FLAC 6.1/7.1 and WMAS
- CDDB and CD-Text works now on the Windows port when listening to CD-Audio
- Support for DVD-Audio files (.aob)
- Improved meta-data and album-art support
- Faster decoding, with up to 40% speed-ups, in HD resolutions
- First part of the Video Output core rewrite
- Removal or rewrite of dozens of modules, code simplification and tens of thousands of lines of code removed
- Some functionalities that are less used are now moved to extensions
- More assembly optimizatinons, especially SSSE3/SSE4 and ARM Neon
- Fewer threads used
Better for developers
- Simplified and improved libVLC, removal of exceptions for better C integration
- New phonon-backend for Qt applications, on all platforms
- New C++ bindings
VLC Media Player 1.1.0 Screenshots
VLC Media Player 1 Builds
VLC Media Player Comments
Windows 2000 / XP / Vista / Windows 7 / XP64 / Vista64 / Windows 7 64
Author / Product:
VideoLAN team / VLC Media Player (32-bit)
With a new audio core, hardware decoding and encoding, port to mobile platforms, preparation for Ultra-HD video and special care to support more formats, 2.1 is a major upgrade for VLC 2020.
Rincewind has a new rendering pipeline for audio, with better efficiency, volume and device management, to improve VLC audio support. It supports many new devices' inputs, formats, metadata and improves most of the current ones, preparing for the next-gen codecs.
UDP/RTP Unicast, UDP/RTP Multicast, HTTP / FTP, MMS, TCP/RTP Unicast, DCCP/RTP Unicast, File, DVD Video, Video CD / VCD, SVCD, Audio CD (no DTS-CD), DVB (Satellite, Digital TV, Cable TV), MPEG encoder, Video acquisition.
MPEG (ES,PS,TS,PVA,MP3), AVI, ASF / WMV / WMA, MP4 / MOV / 3GP, OGG / OGM / Annodex, Matroska (MKV), Real, WAV (including DTS), Raw Audio: DTS, AAC, AC3/A52, Raw DV, FLAC, FLV (Flash), MXF, Nut, Standard MIDI / SMF, Creative™ Voice.
SAP/SDP announces, Bonjour protocol, Mozilla/Firefox plugin, ActiveX plugin, SVCD Menus, Localization, CD-Text, CDDB CD info, IGMPv3, IPv6, MLDv2, CPU acceleration.
Vlc Media Player 1.0.3
Plays all formats
DVD, Text files (MicroDVD, SubRIP, SubViewer, SSA1-5, SAMI, VPlayer), Closed captions, Vobsub, Universal Subtitle Format (USF), SVCD / CVD, DVB, OGM, CMML, Kate. ID3 tags, APEv2, Vorbis comment.
Features and Highlights of VLC Media Player
- 8K support (hardware decoding is on by default)
- Chromecast/Google Cast support
- HDR and 10-bit video
- HMDI Audio passthrough
- Network browsing for NAS systems
- 360 video and 3D audio
- Modifying subtitle size live
- Drag and drop support
- HD DVD support
- Rewritten video output core and modules, allowing blending in GPU.
- Shader support in the OpenGL output, for conversion, including 10bits.
- Video outputs for Windows 10, 8 and 7, Android, iOS and OS/2.
- Debanding, grain, denoising, and anti-flickering filters.
- Deinterlacing filter, including an Inverse Telecine algorithm.
- Resamplers for higher quality audio.
- Dynamic range compressor and karaoke filters.
- Simplification of the audio core for faster processing.
- Audio outputs for iOS, Android and OS/2.
- Multi-threaded decoding for H.264, MPEG-4/Xvid, and WebM.
- Support for 10bits codecs, WMV image, and some other codecs.
- Rewritten support for images, including jpeg, png, xcf, bmp, etc.
- Important changes in RealVideo and Real Format support.
- CrystalHD cards and Android OpenMAX support for hardware decoding.
- And many more features...
Vlc Media Player
Also Available: Download VLC Media Player for Mac and VLC Media Player Portable