XML Notepad provides a simple intuitive User Interface for browsing and editing XML documents. microsoft/XmlNotepad. XML Notepad 1.0. A very simple yet powerful XML editor for web developers. Editor Microsoft Note Notepad Type Xml XML File XML Software 2006 2007.
|Original author(s)||Chris Lovett, Michael Corning, Dan Doris|
|Initial release||1 September 2006; 14 years ago|
188.8.131.52  / 31 May 2020; 6 months ago
|Operating system||Windows 2000 and later|
|Platform||.NET Framework 2.0|
XML Notepad is an open-sourceXML editor written by Chris Lovett and published by Microsoft. The editor features incremental search in both tree and text views, drag/drop support, IntelliSense, find/replace with regular expressions and XPath expressions, and support for XInclude. The editor has good performance on large XML documents and has real time XML schema validation. The editor also features an HTML viewer for displaying XSLT transformation results and a built-in XML comparison tool.
The program's source code was made available on CodePlex on 20 April 2007, and moved to GitHub in April 2016.
The original XML Notepad was written in 1998 by Murray Low in C++, but was eventually removed from Microsoft Developer Network (MSDN) due to its lack of support for modern XML standards and no maintenance. However, because of high demand, a replacement was written in C# by Chris Lovett using the System.Xml library of the .NET Framework 2.0.
XML Notepad 2007 was released eight months after the release of XML Notepad 2006. The new version featured several bug fixes, Windows Vista compatibility and updated Aero-stylecomputer icons.
XML Notepad 2.6 was released in 2014 containing various bug fixes reported by community on codeplex. It was also updated to use .NET Framework 4.0. According to the Codeplex Web site it moved in 2016 to GitHub.
- ^ abcdefgLovett, Chris (August 2006). 'XML Notepad 2007 Design'. MSDN. Microsoft. Retrieved 16 July 2010.
- ^ ab'XML Notepad 2007'. Download Center. Microsoft. 5 September 2007. Retrieved 16 July 2010.
- ^'XML Notepad 2007 2.5'. Download.com. CBS Interactive. 18 September 2007. Retrieved 16 July 2010.
- ^Lovett, Chris (5 September 2006). 'XML Notepad 2006'. Microsoft XML Team Blog. Microsoft. Retrieved 16 July 2010.
- ^Lovett, Chris (20 April 2007). 'XML Notepad Source Code on CodePlex'. Microsoft XML Team Blog. Microsoft. Retrieved 16 July 2010.
- ^ ab'Chris Lovett (2014) 'XML Notepad Wiki''. Retrieved 12 May 2016.
- ^Oiaga, Marius (23 November 2006). 'Microsoft Unveils XML Notepad 2007'. Softpedia. SoftNews. Retrieved 16 July 2010.
- ^Microsoft XML Notepad page at github
- Purdy, Kevin (24 February 2009). 'XML Notepad 2007 is a Simple, Smart Editor for Web Code'. Lifehacker. Gawker Media.
- 'Microsoft XML Notepad 2006'. TechieQuest. Archived from the original on 4 February 2013.
- 'Download Microsoft XML Notepad 2007'. TechieQuest. Archived from the original on 3 February 2013.
- Opris, Elena (8 April 2013). 'Softpedia Editor's Review for Microsoft XML Notepad'. Softpedia. SoftNews.
- 'Chris Lovett Interview'. Microsoft XML Team Blog. Microsoft. 16 November 2007. Retrieved 16 July 2010.
(as of 8/31/2015)
(visit publisher's website)
- HTML viewer of XSLT transformation results
- Endless undo and redo edit operations
- Incremental search in tree and text views
- Configurable colors and fonts
Microsoft XML Notepad is an open source application that enables users to browse and edit XML documents. It is available as a free download for Windows only.
XML Notepad features a simple interface along with a variety of helpful features. The program provides a tree view that breaks an XML document into classes, tags, and key values. It also comes with an HTML viewer for displaying XSLT transformation results. Some other capabilities include drag and drop support, configurable fonts and colors, instant XML schema validation, and endless undo and redo edit operations.
XML Notepad is used by beginner and expert XML programmers. It provides advanced capabilities with a simple interface that won't overwhelm beginners. There are XML editors out there that provide more features, such as Liquid XML Studio, Stylus Studio, and EditiX XML Editor, but Microsoft XML Notepad is still a very capable program for browsing and editing XML documents.
Supported File Types
Primary file extension
Other file extensions used by Microsoft XML Notepad 2007
Microsoft Xml Notepad 2020
|Supported File Types|
|.ATH||Alienware AlienFX Theme File|
|.CAMP||WCS Color Appearance Model Profile File|
|.COMPOSITEFONT||Windows Composite Font File|
|.CPR||Windows Phone Display Settings File|
|.DXL||Domino XML Language File|
|.PP||Pocket Physics Sketch File|
|.TLD||Tag Library Descriptor File|
|.XQL||XML Query Language File|
|.XQUERY||XQuery Source Code File|
|.XQY||XQuery Source File|
|.XSD||XML Schema Definition|
Xml Editor Microsoft Windows 10
Updated: August 31, 2015